[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A response from Lucky

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 22 October 2013, at 12:27 a.m.

In Response To: Sad Problem in Florida (Phil Simborg)

Hi, Phil -- I have not created a profile for Stick's site, so I cannot respond to Neil's message on BGONLINE, but since asked you to post his feelings on what transpired last Friday, I would ask if you wouldn't mind doing the same for my following message. Thanks a lot. Lucky Nelson

Hi == Thanks to those of you who "weighed in" on this issue. I'm very sorry to be the source of this controversy, especially to the extent that Neil, who I know loves the game, was so upset that he is considering giving it up. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact I had to turn him down when he asked me to be his partner in the Doubles Tournament (because I had already registered with another player), nor because we played heads-up and came out even before the tournament began. His last words to me were, "I'm sure you'll do the right thing." Well, I think I DID do "the right thing." I spoke to Neal Weiner, (who ran a very nice tournament along with Rick Wolf and Kathy Weiner, had two great hospitality meals and gave out beautiful trophies) and Neal took it to a committee, who determined it was okay for me to play in the Limited Jackpot. The draw had already been made and the tournament begun. I wasn't sure what else to do. I didn't think I should have to withdraw because Neil thought I was better than I am. There was nothing in the brochure that disqualified me from entering the Limited Jackpot. I know I'm not nearly as good as the people who enter the Master's Jackpot, so I sent in my entry and money a month earlier. As an aside, I lost my first match in the Limited Jackpot. Although it is true that I won the Player of the Year Award at Bill Davis' club 11 years ago, I am 71 years old now and my brain isn't as sharp as it might have been over a decade ago AND as the saying goes, and as many players will now attest, "He ain't what he used to be!" I have not played at all in Bill's weekly Tuesday night tournaments in almost a year and am aware that I cannot compete with today's Giants of Backgammon. Speaking of which, also, I did not even make the list of the Top 200 players in the last GIANTS OF BACKGAMMON ballot. Therefore, considering all of the foregoing reasons, I felt justified in entering the Limited Jackpot and did not think I should withdraw. My plane was overbooked and I had to spend another night in Florida, or I would have responded to Neil's complaint sooner. I do agree with Bill Finneran who suggests that Neil reconsider not playing in Florida's tournaments. The game needs more players of Neil's usual friendly banter, jovial outlook and continued attendance at tournaments, not less. So, I, too, would ask Neil to reconsider a decision that he will probably regret if he were to miss the next backgammon tournament, whether it be the monthly Florida tournaments or other annual tournaments in or out of the State of Florida. We have almost ALL said (or typed) something while in a certain mood that we wished we hadn't said or typed in retrospect. Hopefully, this will be one of Neil's times and we'll see him soon.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.