[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Problem with rule 1.6 Communications

Posted By: Steve Mellen
Date: Tuesday, 5 November 2013, at 5:54 p.m.

In Response To: Problem with rule 1.6 Communications (roadkillbooks)

This is an interesting issue. It's worth considering that you will periodically see doubles partners whisper to one another, for example if they want to discuss a cube action without giving away what they think is the right response. I don't know of anything in the rules that prohibits this, nor have I ever seen anyone suggest that it shouldn't be allowed. So there's already secret discussions taking place, even if everyone sticks to English.

The intent of the rule, at least I surmise, is to prevent the possibility of improper communications between a player and a spectator. This doesn't apply to doubles partners, who are free to share whatever information they have with one another. While there are other reasons why it might be preferable for everyone to speak English, such as making the doubles match more interesting for spectators, I don't think the rule was written with such considerations in mind. I don't recall hearing of any cases where directors have enforced this rule inappropriately.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.