[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposed World Ranking System - Update

Posted By: Rod
Date: Thursday, 21 November 2013, at 7:23 p.m.

In Response To: Proposed World Ranking System - Update (vidis13)

Skill and results correlate, probably strongly over time. How much time is hard to say. But if someone performs well over 75+ events over 5 years, it's probably not too crazy a thought that they might be somewhat skillful.

Sure, there will be outliers.

Petko comes to mind in this rating system over the past 5 years. But maybe Petko has some psychological down fall, like right before a $ round he freezes and plays a 20 when he's not being recorded. (DISCLAIMER: I DONT THINK THIS IS THE CASE - JUST A CRAZY EXAMPLE -I AM NOT PUTTING PETKO DOWN IN ANY WAY - I BELIEVE PERKO IS SIMPLY AN OUTLIER DUE TO RANDOMNESS).

What this system measures is results, correct, which measures ability to win tournaments, which correlates with skill. What is the definition of best or most skillful player? Is it the player who plays the most like XG or the player who wins more? There are other factors that come in to play that are necessary to win over simply being the most skillful (theoretically). Perhaps ability to adjust to a time zone is critical, ability to sleep well in a hotel bed, ability to play late at night, .... The list goes on. Even elo has some problems. But perhaps elo combined with a system like this is best.

I don't know but having a numerical representation of results over 5 years to add to the mix (not be the whole mix) probably has merit.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.