[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposed World Ranking System - Update

Posted By: Ken Larsen
Date: Friday, 22 November 2013, at 10:31 a.m.

In Response To: Proposed World Ranking System - Update (Art Grater)

Art,

On my web page I give three reasons for pursuing a World ranking system:

1. Provide a world ranking system that's better than the current Giants Voting.

2. Reduce sandbagging at tournaments.

3. Generate more interest in backgammon. Tournament attendance will grow, and more people will buy backgammon paraphernalia and lessons.

Sandbagging is an issue with the Advanced and Novice divisions ... people who belong in the Open Division but who play lower to increase their equity.

The Giants voting issue is an Open Division issue.

All divisions will benefit as the ranking system can ignite global interest in backgammon. My biggest fear is that tour and tournament directors will actually cooperate and provide the necessary stats to make the new system work ... resulting in an explosive growth in tournament and local club attendance. You'll then have to send in your tournament entry fees months in advance to reserve your spot. That would be a hassle. Also, the directors will be overworked trying to accommodate everyone. If you think I'm joking about this, it actually happened to me. I directed an Raleigh IBM employee golf tournament for 13 years and implemented the ideas I espouse here. Attendance exploded ... 308 people plus a waiting list in the last tournament. That was an insane number of people.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.