[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposed World Ranking System - Update

Posted By: Barry Silliman
Date: Friday, 22 November 2013, at 10:19 a.m.

In Response To: Proposed World Ranking System - Update (vidis13)

Are there really unambiguously Open-level players traveling to various ABT events and playing in the Advanced with the purpose of hustling? It doesn't seem to me that there would be enough return for that to be worthwhile.

If we're looking for a worthwhile positive return on investment in strictly monetary terms, most ventures in backgammon fail to meet that criteria, and I doubt that this effort is an exception for Ken and whoever is helping him, I'm sure it's being done as a labor of love for the game.

The problem is not with unambiguously Open-level players. The perceived problem is with the ambiguous players on the "bubble". An objective ranking will provide the following benefits, which are interrelated, and all with the stated goal to "axe the whining", if I might borrow the title of a recent post.

1. Provides an objective measure for the tournament director to use to decide where the "bubble" player will play in a given tournament, and provide a basis to refute any complaints.
  2. Provides an objective measure for the person accused of sandbagging to tell his accusers to go pound sand.
  3. Provides an objective measure to refute the basis of complaint for those accusing others of sandbagging.
And the beauty of the ranking system is that since it weights more recent results higher than those in the past, it provides an incentive for tournament attendance. To those who tremble at the thought that the #12 ranked player on the system might actually play at a worse PR than the #13 ranked player on the system- relax!! Take the time to read the e-mail from Mark Woodruff to Ken that Ken has at the bottom of his link. It is well thought out, and to borrow one line from it- So what if the best player in the world is ranked 44 one year, even if everyone knows he's the best

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.