[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Overriding Principle

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Monday, 24 March 2014, at 3:35 p.m.

In Response To: Baffle Box Ruling - OTB Directors Ruling (Bill Finneran)

I have always believed that there should be an "overriding principle" involved in all rule decisions, and I have also believed that should should be stated in the rules as a guide to all players and directors.

If there is every a doubt as to what the call should be when two players disagree, the call should tend to be against the player that initiated the action which caused the controversy.

In other words, in this case, the player who was rolling through the box and then rolled on the board caused a problem to happen with his actions. The player who moved his checkers back and forth quickly without making sure there was no doubt about the movement is the one the TD should rule against if there is a question; the player who "sort of" picked up the dice but says he didn't and the other player disagrees...the call should go against the roller; the player who "almost" picked up the cube to double but says he didn't should be required to double if the other player wants him to; etc. etc.

So even if there isn't a clear rule, or even if the players don't agree on their account of exactly what transpired, the ruling should go against the player that created the problem in the first place.

(This approach is described in the rules recommended by me and Chuck and Jeb.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.