[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Opinions About Giving Odds

Posted By: Rod
Date: Wednesday, 16 April 2014, at 9:54 p.m.

In Response To: Opinions About Giving Odds (neilkaz)

There are several problems with offering different stakes during the same session for you and for your opponent.

1. Hustling. 2. Shorter than expected session length. 3. High variance in results across a session. 4. Bad precedent

I can't speak to 1 with respect to this.

I recently found myself in a situation like this, however - talked into playing a session with 2 other people for fairly low stakes where I and another paid X if we lost and collected X from each other but only 0.75X if we won.

I hate this because then the next time you go to play people invariably think you should pay odds. But the bigger problem is that if it's just a single session of unknown length, the variance in results is so high due to luck that you just wind up a loser too often. If it was a person I played regularly for Y number of games, so be it.

I ended up winning a quick 20 points (3 games). The person getting the odds quit. I never would gave offered those odds for a session of unknown length…. But perhaps for a guaranteed 25-30 game session

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.