[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Novi 2014 – Ben Friesen vs. Gary Bauer – Illegal Starting Position

Posted By: Tom Keith
Date: Monday, 7 July 2014, at 1:06 p.m.

In Response To: Novi 2014 – Ben Friesen vs. Gary Bauer – Illegal Starting Position (Bob Koca)

That rule is ambiguous.

As always, there is a tradeoff between having a rule that is simple and easy to remember and having a rule that handles more situations but takes several pages to write.

Corrected how?

I would interpret the rule as follows: Figure out the difference between the correct and actual starting positions in terms of which points had too few and too many checkers. Fix the current position by moving the same checkers (i.e., from/to the same points) as you would if you were fixing the starting position. If this is not possible, then the current position stands.

There may have been moves made that don't make sense if position is unaltered.

This doesn't happen very often. Players usually play according to what they "know" the starting position is rather than how the pieces are set up. Nevertheless it's a good reminder to check the starting position yourself so you don't find yourself making a play you later regret.

Mike wrote:

Gary failed to set up the correct starting position

Ben's opponent made a setup error

To my mind, both players are responsible for correctly setting up the checkers. It may be that one player physically placed the checkers on their points, but that doesn't relieve the other player of the responsibility of ensuring that the setup is correct.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.