[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

USA vs Japan Streaming from the Chicago Open and more...

Posted By: Rory
Date: Sunday, 20 May 2018, at 1:54 a.m.

In Response To: USA vs Japan Streaming from the Chicago Open and more... (Perry Gartner)

Perry, thank you for the kind words.

Author and Design - This quiz was authored by me, as were the 2 18-question quizzes given in 2015 and 2017 as part of the Backgammon Olympiad at the Chicago Open. On all three occasions the questions came from pictures I had taken while playing over the last year. This year I had 53 positions that were possible. After rollouts I was left with 44 possible (minimum .05 error to make the quiz). I sent my possible quiz positions to 2 very high Open/Championship level players. I asked them to go through the problems giving an answer, a level of difficulty, and a general like or dislike of the position. My favorite positions and those that are generally guaranteed to make the quiz are ones that they got wrong but graded a low level difficulty. After going through the positions based on their responses I had 14 questions in, 14 out, and 16 "maybees". I could have chosen 4 of the 16 maybees but I decided to add 6 more and make it 24 total because I really liked a lot of them and it was awfully difficult to narrow them down.

Format - The positions will be printed 1 per page and each player will receive a booklet. Everyone will turn to the first position. All positions will be staged with white on roll bearing off to the left. At the top of each page there will be a question (Problem #1. Money Game, center cube, 3-3 to play?). I will read that question aloud and then start a 2-minute clock. I will give a 1-minute warning and a 15-second warning. Once time is up everyone will turn to the next page. There is no going back!

Grading - Each question is worth 1 point. If you get it right you get the point if you do not get it right you get 0. All scores will be revealed. This is an extremely difficult quiz. The average score in 2015 was 8.1 out of 18. The average score in 2017 was 7.1 out of 18. I have not decided weather or not I will release the quiz to the public afterward. I spend a lot of time and effort creating it and I may decide to keep it for publishing at a later date.

Scoring - USA vs Japan will have 6 components.

1. The first 7 point match 2. DMP 3. SpeedGammon 4. Score based Scenarios (2-away, 4-away and 3-away, 6-away) 5. The Quiz 6. The second 7 point match

Each country will earn 1 point for winning each event. I have a detailed system based on match equity that will translate these points into some advantage for either country heading into the championship stage (assuming they do not tie 3-3).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.