[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Catchup #4 - Picking on MCG

Posted By: Stick
Date: Monday, 1 December 2008, at 1:30 p.m.

Why would I ever pick on MCG? Well, no reason really, but since he's been the biggest postwhore since I've been on vacation I have the most material to work with, his fault :) The first position I take issue with can be found here.

Where's my issue? Seems the take is clear cut and the double borderline. Can't argue with that, my issue is with MCG says: We're not getting crushed. Any position where my opponent is over 70% and easily wins over twice as many gammons as I do fits in to the category of getting crushed. There's also a loooooot of variance left in that rollout, though I'm not arguing it's not a take, I think it's a must double even though the immediate volatility isn't all that high.

Harrassing MCG #2

MCG: ...not only did we misplay the checker play...

The plays meet the *tied* criteria after a measley 1700 trials and you're dismissing it as a misplay, shame! Whether or not they would have actually cubed is another question. I'd take a WAG figure of 50% of the shit I say in a doubles match is complete & utter bullshit, I imagine that figure is the same for Kit. (and I know it is at least that, if not higher for Neil, god the manure he shovels and ppl lick up like it was some new improved form of chocolate)

The next two posts are sort of a comparison that struck me as obvious plays but apparently aren't. Pos1 and Pos2

In the above there are two repeating key factors of each position. First, your opponent has no board. This is hugely important as if you're hit you're likely to enter right away, one position more than the other likely to grab the second anchor again. Also, in both positions you have the stronger board so any fly shots favor your.

Secondly, your timing is suspect for any type of game which coupled with the above means toss your checkers in the outfield, come what may. Improve your timing or go forward, either is good for you. I was shocked to see so many people misplay these positions.

Next problem, Cube pushing

There have been a few postings on how to handle the cube, esp. cube adjustments for stronger v. weaker players lately, from MCG & Ray inparticular. I'm not concerned with this position exactly, only what was stated, I'd scoop this cube in a heartbeat too.

MCG says: but if I pass this one, Kit will be pushing me around the rest of the match with the cube

So you're assuming if you pass this (and you're not sure it's a take anyway) that Kit will be doubling you early the rest of the match and that somehow that wouldn't be a good thing? I'm confused, if you can make a possible small or non existant error (again, you weren't sure if it was a take) in a position where there is no skill left in it and it garners you easy cube decisions in the future because Kit will be doubling early thinking you may again drop, it seems to me that should pass you into pass territory?

The "when you have no idea take!" theory isn't a terrible thing to follow when you're learning how to play, but as good as certain players are supposed to be (MCG, Ray) I say you'd better damn well spend an extra minute & figure it out, there should be no position where you have no idea on the cube action lol.

61P-22E-33?

Still oodles & oodles of variance left in the rollout and I would honestly play 5(2) 4(2) OtB 8 days a week.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.