[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Popularizing Backgammon

Posted By: Joe Russell
Date: Tuesday, 6 October 2009, at 10:35 p.m.

I think the major problem with popularizing backgammon with the youth is the fact that backgammon can be slow and laborious compared to the video/computer games they are playing. Fast paced, multimedia games, with all the bells and whistles, with kids on and competing with teams using headsets to communicate with each other, are hard to compete with.

What can we do to get some of these game players involved in backgammon? One idea would be for some of us to step forward and organize local events. I live in Los Angeles. I could start a local UCLA vs. USC backgammon challenge. Perhaps an L.A. area collegiate championship would be a good idea. Others could pick up the ball in their areas. It could also be done online. Their are a lot of natural rivalries: Yale, Harvard; M.I.T, Cal Tech; Cal, Stanford. Maybe we could offer small scholarships to the winners. Would sponsors be interested? A collegiate national championship? Any ideas?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.