[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Hand-recording matches

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Tuesday, 29 December 2009, at 1:39 a.m.

If I ever get around to playing in a tournament some day, I'm determined to record my games, even if that means writing down the moves by hand while the clock is running.

Given that intention, I naturally want to spend as little time as possible writing down the moves. Nactation is an obvious possibility here. However, I doubt that I'll ever reach the point where I'll be able to nactate every move faster than I can write it down conventionally. Recently on this forum, someone asked how to nactate 22 played 24/22(2) 11/7; figuring out the answer to that question is going to take me longer than just writing down "24/22(2) 11/7." The question is whether I can find a method that takes even less time than that, at least on average.

The system that I'm planning to train myself on is as follows. I write down a die value, and then I subscript it with the destination point. So for instance, slotting an opening 21 roll would be 21115. If both dice are played using the same checker, then the first subscript can be omitted, but the dice should be written in the correct order. Thus hitting and running with a 64 in reply to an opening 21 slot should be written 4614 and not 6414; the latter would mean running without hitting. (It would also be acceptable to write 614420. This might seem odd but might happen if you decide to write down the roll first and then add the subscripts afterwards.)

For doubles, we can use a superscript to denote two or more checkers moved in concert. A 55 opening blitz could be written 521523. The aforementioned 24/22(2) 11/7 could be written 2222227. Moving 24/20(2) with double 2's could be written 22220. I say "could" because I don't regard superscripts as mandatory. If a 11 play (for example) looks particularly tricky, I might want to write down "1 1 1 1" first and then fill in the subscripts afterwards.

For the purposes of this notation, the bar is considered to be point 25 and the bear-off tray is considered to be point 0.

One advantage of this system is that it can peacefully coexist with nactation. For each move I can make a free choice of which system of notation to use, and there will be no ambiguities because nactation doesn't use subscripts or superscripts.

I'm curious whether other people have come up with their own systems of shorthand. Perhaps not, because I seem to remember someone (Stick?) saying in a post here that he was surprised to see some Japanese players recording their own clocked matches. I infer that not many people do that.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.