[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

USBGF Software Page

Posted By: W Womack
Date: Tuesday, 13 April 2010, at 4:45 a.m.

Poking around the USBGF site I came across the following on the software page

Gnu Backgammon [FREE] – program download and installation. This is a great program (with respect to performance) to improve your game. It can play and analyze. Its main drawback is that the user interface is not as nice as the Snowie or ExtremeGammon interface and it is less intuitive to use. Most top players use GNU and Snowie.

ExtremeGammon- program download and installation. Description here.

Snowie Backgammon – program download and installation. This (Snowie 4 Professional) is the #1 program on the market you can PURCHASE (current download price: $365). An indispensable tool for anyone serious about improving his or her backgammon game through analysis and rollouts.

The links to GNU and Snowie work, however the links to ExtremeGammon are dead.

This page seems to be very misleading, especially regarding ExtremeGammon. If I read this as someone not familiar with the bots I would conclude that to really be able to improve my game I should get Snowie, as it is "#1" -- I wonder if this is still true in terms of sales given the better price of XG-- and "an indispensable tool" for improving my game. I would also be tempted to conclude that ExtremeGammon must not be very good as "most top players use Snowie and GNU." This is probably a true statement at the moment given that these have been around much longer, but it leaves one with the impression that XG is some sort of second class citizen in the bot world as top players seem not be using it, and beside the USBGF can't even bother to tell me how much it cost or actually make the links to it work.

Seems to me there should be a lot more balance here. I know this is just the beginning of the site, but surely XG deserves a bit more of a fair shake.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.