[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Which anchor? Why? (XGR++ spoiler)

Posted By: Marty Storer
Date: Thursday, 23 June 2011, at 5:33 p.m.

In Response To: Which anchor? Why? (neilkaz)

I peeked at XGR++ which says 24/14 is indeed a whopper.

It's not necessarily that the 22 point sucks so much in general (actually its general value was highly disdained when I was young, then it underwent a kind of renaissance, now it's possible that it's generally overvalued), but that it sucks here for particular reasons pointed out by Neil.

The keys seem to be that White's attacking chances aren't much to be feared and that short-term mobility is important for Black. I thought the two outside checkers provided enough mobility, but they probably don't (recognizing that White may hit one, and that the dilly-spare on the 3 point augurs future problems).

I formed variants by (1) moving Black's outside checker from 13 to 14 (so that 24/14 makes a point and leaves no blots); (2) by moving the spare from 3 to 9 (so that short-term mobility is less important for Black, and blocking and attacking chances are better--but the race is less favorable too), and (3) making both of those changes. Although XGR++ says all three variant positions make 24/14 stronger than it is in the original position, it's still quite a bit behind 24/18 22/18.

See "What's Your Game Plan?" Problem 122, and particularly Problem 81. There are interesting similarities and differences between those positions and this one.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.