[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Holland Rule story

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Friday, 23 August 2013, at 5:11 p.m.

In Response To: Jacoby Rule for Match Play? (Mike Clapsadle)

About 25 years ago I was helping to direct some of the biweekly San Diego club tourneys. Two new players walked in and with them being casual players I was asked to explain the differences between money and tourney play to them. It took me a while to get them to comprehend the Crawford Rule, and while I was explaining the Holland Rule, the two of them (they were a couple about 30 years old) looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders and the man said that this was too complicated for us and they walked out!

A few weeks later I spoke with Joe Sylvester at a midwest event and he also was not in favor of the Holland Rule, nor did he see a need for it. I then wrote up a piece for CJC's newsletter and Sly supported me, and soon the Holland Rule went away. It was only used in less than half of the matches and places I played anyhow.

.. neilkaz ..

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.