[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT Tennis

Posted By: Stick
Date: Friday, 13 September 2013, at 10:21 p.m.

In Response To: OT Tennis (Bob Koca)

I try to avoid (though sometimes may let slip) words like 'discount' in this type of discussion. I prefer 'take into consideration'. And unless this is a joke that even I don't get to put my memory into the same breath as Jake's is a complete joke. That's like comparing my tennis game to Nadal's. My memory in general blows.

I do think it is more impressive when someone like myself (I only use myself because nobody else comes immediately to mind) does the same mathematical calculations for backgammon that you or John O' or a number of other people who live or have lived around math during their lives do. I was a French major who never went anywhere with actual math courses other than probably dropping out of one in college and when I started playing backgammon and saw John O'Hagan's first post or Douglas Zare's first article I looked at them and said "WTFF?!". Whereas you already had the advantage of understanding that math and being able to manipulate it rather easily in comparison.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to take these things into account when sizing up a player, there has to be a line. Would you agree it is more impressive if Spud Webb (5' 7") wins a slam dunk contest with 360s and backward pumps and windmill dunks than if Dominique Wilkins (6' 8") does the same? Shaq is over 7' tall and okay...maybe you don't want to say that should be taken into consideration but if you take it to the extreme like my example, the guy is 10' tall, aren't you going to laugh that off as a joke rather than how many points he scores? Where you draw the line for yourself or how you think about these players is all up to you but there is a difference and I try to keep as much of that perspective as I can.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.