[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Doubles -- why does an Open player want to play with an Advanced/Novice player

Posted By: Coolrey
Date: Tuesday, 22 October 2013, at 10:32 p.m.

In Response To: Doubles -- why does an Open player want to play with an Advanced/Novice player (Jason Lee)

Hey man, I just do it because it is fun. I have quit sort of playing with strong partners, because then we argue over minute irrelevant details about how best to play a back game.

When I play I am often compensated in the form of a structured entry fee, but often not as was the case in Florida. I played with Neal Weiners ex wife, Terry. We had some fun and so did the kibitzers who said they did not come to watch the match, but rather to LISTEN to it. (I do a little talking sometimes), LOL.

Neil K did much the same. The directors hoped Neil's team would play mine in the finals... Alas, it was not to be.

So, I like to pick a lady to play with and rattle on during the match. People seem to respond to that, and I thrive on the attention. We took second place this time to the players who beat Neil and Debra by the same score they beat us... ie: @ DMP.

Sometimes I play with men, students of the game, and give them my take on match strategies... Sassan Tajer (sp) could tell you a story or two about that. He won with both myself and Ed O, the European doubles championship, in back to back years.

If your partner does not assume a subordinate roll, then your match will not flow particularly well. It is the flow and guidance through the rapids of cube handling and checker plays that most partners enjoy. Meanwhile they don't mind paying 2/3 or even the whole entry fee for the extended lesson. I mean it might be over in ONE match, to be sure, but it may last over a couple of days and through a meal or two. Giving the Open player a chance to showcase his aptitude, and the student a concentrated learning experience. It can be very rewarding for both sides.... and I always let my partner extract the entry fees before we split any prizes. It seems fair to me.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.