[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Doubles -- why does an Open player want to play with an Advanced/Novice player

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Tuesday, 22 October 2013, at 3:32 p.m.

Keene wrote in another thread: Open players, what would make you want to enter this event? Clearly the advantage to the Advanced players is that they get to play with an Open player - and hear the logic and reasoning for their play choices - its a fantastic learning opportunity, as well as mingling the classes of players, but whats in it for the Open player?

I envision a culture where the answer to "what's in it for the open player" is that this is just what we do. Maybe, as part of any tournament, we expect the open players to pair up with advanced/novice players and play a low stakes doubles event and give back to the community. You don't HAVE to, but you should. Maybe you're playing in a jackpot that evening and you aren't available. No problem. Next tournament if you get eliminated in the first round of that jackpot, you should jump into the pro/am.

Kind of in the same way that my neighbor is 94 years old, so when it snows, I shovel his walkway and driveway for him, and ask for nothing in return. I don't have to do it, but it's part of being a good guy and a good citizen.

If we have a bunch of good backgammon citizens, when we'll all benefit in the long run. That's what's in it for the Open player.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.