[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Interesting Time setting in Cyprus Open

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Saturday, 14 December 2013, at 3:56 p.m.

In Response To: Interesting Time setting in Cyprus Open (Mochy)

I like the concept of controlling the amount of time a player can take breaks during a match, but I am not sure this is the best way of handling it.

If I were tournament director I would have a rule that says that during a match of X number of points a player is entitled to no more than X breaks, and that the maximum time for each break is 10 minutes. I would state that if a player believes his opponent abuses this rule he should inform the tournament director, and let the tournament director handle it. (X would be 1 break for a 7 point match or lower, and 2 for a 15 point match down to a 7 point match.)

How would I handle it? I would give the player a penalty point immediately if it is absolutely clear that he has taken much more than 10 minutes and I personally witnessed it, but otherwise, I would warn the player and tell him that in the future, for the rest of the tournament, any time he wants to take a break he must report to a staff member who will time him and award a penalty point if he is late (1 point for every 3 minutes late I think would be appropriate after a player has been warned).

Done this way I don't think there would be many people abusing the rule in the first place, and the very few offenders would be dealt with firmly.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.