[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Interesting Time setting in Cyprus Open

Posted By: Henrik Bukkjaer
Date: Monday, 16 December 2013, at 10:53 a.m.

In Response To: Interesting Time setting in Cyprus Open (christian munk-christensen)

They are not the same, IMHO.

If you play a single match, either be a money-match, or a match that is part of a league, where no one is waiting for the results and you have plenty of time to complete - you'd still play with a clock!

You could argue, that 3) follows 2) no matter what. But comparing analogue to digital clocks, I think, shows two different objectives that have somewhat contradictory solutions.

Clearly analogue clock rules allows for the optimal solution of keeping a tournament on schedule. They set a maximum total time for a match. On the other hand, Bronstein time controls is a much better solution for ensuring equal time to both players, while executing the game under fair conditions (and not having the clock be a direct part of the gameplan, as it often could become under analogue rules).

Similarly here with the breaks, you have a rule (the current one), that maybe is not the most efficient one at keeping the tournament on schedule, but clearly allows for the most fair and sporting execution of a match. On the other hand, you have a rule (the "Cyprus rule") that is very efficient at keeping the tournament on schedule, but at the expense of fairness.

Objectives 2 and 3 thus cannot be the same, though they correlate to some degree.

-------

Daniel, I agree with you. My suggestion for using hourglasses or other kinds of break timers, was just in case a TD is not up to the task or players are complete nutcases and some sort of timer and penalties are needed. But I think that an hourglass would indeed solve the problem much more elegantly than doing breaks on game-time. All you need to avoid cheating, is to color one end of the hourglass different from the other, so that you cannot turn over the hourglass before it reaches the halfway point unnoticed.

--------

Mochy, Chiva:

Is the clock also supposed to be running in between games when the board is being setup?

And how do you handle it if players simply pause the clock during breaks anyway? Will they both be subtracted 5 minutes or warned and ultimately DQed?

Was it your experience that there were fewer breaks taken? Or that breaks was "rushed"?

Would you imagine the same rule would work fine also for matches longer than 9 points? Say matches to 17 or 25 points?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.