[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Playing on a Table or Computer in a Tournament

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Friday, 3 January 2014, at 4:45 p.m.

In Response To: Playing on a Table or Computer in a Tournament (Michael Petch)

One thing I like about a real board is tactile contact. There is no such corresponding feedback on a tablet. Oh I am sure that a novel designer could make the tablet vibrate near a given spot, but I don't even like that feature on my smartphone when I tap keys. That will be why I'll always prefer a keyboard over a touch screen.

And how do you choose which software to use? XG isn't the only option in that regard. Some of the software I have tried has a reasonable two player mode and match saving capability for later analysis. If the tablet isn't provided by the tournament then how do you know that some software hasn't been installed that helps signal (maybe a subtle indicator) to tell you which play is better? Will it be a TDs job to make sure the tablet and the software have not been modified as a cheating device? (A lot of devices and software combinations out there)

I am not sure playing on a tablet will make the game more fun. The people who benefit are likely those people who don't want the hassle of manual transcribing. It would be less fun for me, and I doubt I am alone in that feeling.

I'd ask a follow-up question. If there was an full-proof automated way of recording a match via a physical tournament board, would people still be choosing the tablet? I don't ask this question because there is such software, I am just trying to gauge how many people would still choose the tablet in that case.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.