[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My idea for a more skillful side event

Posted By: Henrik Bukkjaer
Date: Wednesday, 15 January 2014, at 12:30 p.m.

In Response To: My idea for a more skillful side event (neilkaz)

Re. suggestion 1) (and more or less all other suggestions that try to improve the skill factor by removing variance of jokers):

I think it misses the target. By narrowing in the variance on the different possible rolls, you affect the game in a non-desirable way cube-wise. It will lead to less difficult cube-play, it will give even more double-takes than the current 2/3, and you will even more seldom end up having to play too good. I'm not sure if you would get fewer turn-arounds in a game, thus fewer redoubles, but I suspect so. On the other hand, it will be much easier to double-in. A consequence would be, for the good player to wait a bit longer before doubling. It would become more boring.

Furthermore, the rolls that typically are affected by such rule suggestions, are often the most difficult to play (not f you have 3 on the bar, but in general, the doublets). And the possible future variance they introduce, is the precise element that makes it difficult to asses positions (both in relation to cubes but also strategy/checkerplay decisions). Things will become more simple, thus play from top-players would become more mechanical and I suppose the PRs would go even lower.

----

As for suggestion 2) I like it. As a side event. I haven't tried it yet, so I have no idea how big an advantage cube ownership will be at the end, so maybe optimal play quickly becomes that you do not use the cube until the very last phase. Heck, maybe the solution is to go crazy and have more than one cancel-cube, in order for it to get used more... There could be some slightly more complex setups which could be fun - eg. 3 cancel cubes in the middle, each cube can only be used twice: Either player can use one from the middle, when you use one from your own tray, it is taken out of the game.

Again, I don't think our game as such needs too much change like this, but I'd really like it for side-events for those who seek additional fun and challenge.

I'll surely try cancel cube of some sort, at my club's New Year championships (typically played in January). We usually play something like this, ranging from prop-tournament, super-blitz, bg to loose, and so on.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.