[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

BGO vs. BGO OLM Update - Tiebreakers

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Tuesday, 18 February 2014, at 10:05 p.m.

In Response To: BGO vs. BGO OLM Update - Tiebreakers (ah_clem)

A bigger problem is where the vote is split amongst several plays, a couple of which involve a similar idea.

This DOES happen, and is an actual problem.

The main reason I'm not going to offer an actual solution to this is because I can't. See Arrow's Impossibility Theorem. (Wikipedia says this is from social choice theory, but to me, it's a mathematical theorem.) Arrow's Theorem essentially says that NO voting system can produce a result that meets a few basic fairness criteria when there are 3 or more candidates (as is often the case in backgammon). For example, you want a system that meets the criteria of Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives. To illustrate, you're out for lunch, and following exchange occurs:

Waiter: "Would you like coffee or tea?"
You: "Coffee."
Waiter: "Oh, I just remembered, we also have lemonade."
You: "That changes everything! I'll have the tea."

A voting system should not allow this to happen... you'd like to think.

Alright, mumbo jumbo aside... yeah, what you describe is a problem, but it happens so rarely that I'd rather not try to deal with it. If it comes up, we file it under "shit happens."

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.