Some good reasons for the delay
Posted By: phil simborg In Response To: Giant list 2013, must be a joke... (julie)
Date: Wednesday, 9 April 2014, at 2:34 p.m.
In Response To: Giant list 2013, must be a joke... (julie)
I think we need to be patient and understanding about the time involved here, as there are several excellent reasons why it takes so long to tabulate the results:
1. Far too many people voted for themselves, and most put themselves very high on the list (around No. 2). That means that the number of people voted for is at least as many as the number of ballots received. (I have done my own "exit survey" on this, by the way, and it turns out that if people didn't have to vote for themselves, most still would have, so it wouldn't matter.)
2. The people in charge are Yamin, Jake, and Carol Cole, and they can't even agree on Legal Moves, so how are they about to agree on how to tabulate the votes? Also, there is the language problem, as Carol is the only one of the three who is fluent in English. Yamin has a strong Sirian accent, and few people have ever understood what Jake is saying.
3. It is very difficult to read the ballots. Most backgammon players fall into one of two categories: they dropped out of school and have been gamblers and drifters all their life and never developed good handwriting skills, or they are over-educated, like doctors, and believe they are so important that people should have to work to read their writing.
4. The world of top backgammon players is very difficult to spell. Why don't you test yourself right now and see if you can spell the last names of Mochy, Michy, Victor, Petko, Falafel, and many others likely to be on the list.
5. Once all the votes were in, this year they had to do a lot of checking for voter fraud. I have heard that names like Mattig, Simborg, were on some of the ballots, and they had to make sure that no one was stuffing the ballot box when they saw names like this.
Messages In This Thread
BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.