[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

shouuld there be more payouts in the ABT

Posted By: Barry Silliman
Date: Thursday, 26 February 2015, at 3:11 p.m.

I am posting this at the request of my friend Ken Larsen.

We were having a private email exchange regarding the number of payouts in the typical ABT event. He first inquired of me because initial posts on chicgaopoint showed only 4 of 34 players cashing in the Open division. That has since been corrected- 5 of 34 players cashed. I feel this is a reasonable ratio while Ken thinks a higher percentage of players should cash and receive ABT points.

Here is a snippet from an email I wrote:

I've always felt that between 1/5 and 1/8 is the proper ratio. I had a choice of paying out 5 or 7 in the Open and chose 5 because 7/34 is > 1/5. [Ed.- Thank you Jason for enlightening me that this is an inequality, not an equation]. However maybe in the Advanced I could be talked into paying between 1/4 and 1/8 so that 7/34 would have worked well for that. I think that Open players want a chance at a bigger pot of gold at the end of the rainbow while Advanced players are more satisfied with just winning something since even the winner isn't going to reap a huge reward after paying for expenses.

Ken would like to see about 25% of the players get cash and ABT points, even if some of that number receives a relatively small amount. (This seems akin to how the new USBGF Master Points system will dole out points, but not dollars).

Ken wrote this supporting his case for paying more players: For 13 years (1975-1987) I ran the IBM Watson Trophy Golf Tournament for the Raleigh/RTP site. I awarded gift certificates to the top third of the finishers in each flight. Prior to my involvement, only the winner in each flight got anything – a Watson Trophy.

During my reign, attendance rose steadily. In 1987 we had 308 entrants plus a waiting list. We needed two weekends to accommodate everyone. Before and after my reign attendance was less than 100. I think it was about 70 in 1974. In 1975 I had 108.

One comment I would make regarding the golf tournament Ken organized- I could be wrong, but it sounds like in that case it involved local players who probably didn't have airfares or hotel room expenses to try to recoup, so it is not strictly an apples to apples comparison.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.