[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Hypocrisy in the backgammon community

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Wednesday, 9 March 2016, at 1:24 a.m.

How many threads on this site have speculated/advised on the way to increase the popularity of the game?

Yet now that some have made a mountain out of a molehill, a 'Giant' of backgammon (in the top 32 since the survey's inception) chooses to degrade a country's players because he perceives that some unrelated players from that country may have done something unscrupulous. What hypocrisy.

And to make matters worse, two days later only one person has called him out on this while other respected players have responded to his thread, in the least showing neutral acceptance of his actions.

OK, let's start out putting names to the faces. I'm Chuck Bower -- the same name as is on my membership ID here. The Giant is Paul Weaver, also the name on his ID. The single outspoken opponent is Leonardo Jerkovic, whom I deduce is from the country of those being ridiculed. I'm not going to list the names of the enablers, some of whom I (still) consider friends. But the deeper question is, are those who have read the thread and failed to respond as I am doing, in some small way also at fault? Ask yourself that, please.

We have national and even international organizations, websites, and countless informal comaraderies which espouse to promote the continuation and growth of the popularity of this truly international game. We have players/proponents from every continent (except possibly Antarctica) and likely from over 100 countries worldwide. The game has benefited from the support of famous people such as Oswald Jacoby, Lucile Ball, Hugh Hefner, and Omar Sharif.

And then we tolerate the derision of innocent people, just because someone perceives that a few living in the same country as they have somehow soiled the haughty view of a recognized 'Giant' of the game. A true Giant of Backgammon puts the game ahead of his own insignificant ego.

What is it about this community that tolerates such actions??

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.