[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Wisebeaver Paradox

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Thursday, 22 June 2017, at 7:13 a.m.

In Response To: Wisebeaver Paradox (Maik Stiebler)

Thanks, Maik, for pointing that out. After reading your comments, I (probably like you) saw it in the Backgammon Galore glossary. I also noticed a Danny Kleinman article featured on the same site in which he illustrates a Wisecarver paradox, but Danny never states Wisecarver means straight-race only or that it is any different from a cube provocation play (and he is the sort of man who likes explaining distinctions). I don't think he even implies it in his five references, the way I read it. Yes, the term is underlined/linked, but not by Danny. It is simply linked back by the webmaster to the same glossary cited above. I'm curious who decided on the definition given there.

Is anyone in touch with Tim Wisecarver?

I saw a couple of posts that suggested the term Wisecarver Paradox could be applied to contact positions. This excerpt is from the unflappable Bob Koca:

The late game positions having larger volatility may be important but the putting all the eggs in one basket certainly seems more possible for contact positions. Instead of just playing for a big double one could make a risky hit or bold slot. My guess is that in real life play that Wisecarver positions occur significantly more often in contact positions compared to non contact positions. Probably more than twice as often.

I can't remember who wrote the other post. Of course, I'm not trying to make a mountain out of off-hand comments, but they're an indication.

I'm curious how broadly others use "Wisecarver Paradox." IF it is supposed to apply only to non-contact, I should rename "Wisebeaver Paradox." Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.