[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Terminology

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Sunday, 25 June 2017, at 5:03 p.m.

In Response To: Terminology (Ray Kershaw)

At the end of "The Cube Provocation Paradox" (Vision Laughs At Counting With Advice To The Dicelorn), Danny Kleinman "guesses" that there are such contact positions. But that was 1980 and the technology was not available to identify such positions. Unlike non-contact positions, establishing a contact cube provocation paradox requires a roll out and is of course subject to the accuracy of the bot.

Excellent observation.

(a) an inferior play that provokes a human opponent into an early or improper double (when the best play would not).
(b) a best play that induces a (theoretically) correct double, when there is at least one other play against which it is not a correct double.

I think you make a good suggestion to label all plays of your type (b) as Cube Provocation Paradoxes, whether they are contact or non-contact.

I guess if I had my druthers, the two situations would have different nomenclatures: type "a" would be (say) a "Miscube Provocation" and type "b" would be a "Provocation Paradox." Add the third word "play" when one finds it desirable to distinguish the checker play from the situation. Absent further input, these will be my terms when I eventually write an online glossary. I encourage Tom Keith and other glossary writers to reflect on these terms as well.

Regardless (to be clear), I still want "Wisecarver Paradox" to refer to the non-contact subset of the Provocation Paradox (more if we ever gain evidence he intended to include contact -- he might never have thought of it).

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.