[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Is SurveyMonkey a better tool for gathering and measuring opinion?

Posted By: sebalotek
Date: Saturday, 19 August 2017, at 1:58 p.m.

In Response To: Is SurveyMonkey a better tool for gathering and measuring opinion? (mamabear)

Thanks for your reply Mamabear.

MM>> Why have I not answered Bob Koca's question here about the dice on checkers? Because there is no place for the nuanced answer of "I'll play that way if it's the rule, and it certainly won't keep me away from any tournament, but why was it introduced this way? My problem is with the process, not the product."

MM>> You will get the answers you want by the way you word the questions.

I think, in the interests of making cohesive progress towards a resolution, IMO it is too early to complicate the question by introducing nuances. This increases the risk of the question getting sidetracked by less productive discussions rather than clearly identifying the level of support / opposition for the core element of the question.

In other words, it might be more worthwhile to ask an initial straightforward YES / NO oriented question at the earliest stage.

IMO this should provide at least some scientifically quantifiable feel for general opinion. i.e. 90%, 75%, 50/50, 40/60 support for the proposal (or x% opposition to such)

I think a simple initial question, for example: "Are you ok playing with dice landing flat on chequers counting - YES or N0?"

has little wiggle-room for misinterpretation in itself and can provide a quick numerical indicator for popularity / the way forward.

I guess it would be prudent to add some additional precautions and protocols to ensure the results are as relevant as possible i.e. restricting voting to specific groups (in this case perhaps verified US TDs and USBGF members / tournament attendees).

There are probably other sensible protocols to engage only the specific target audience that could be added to maximise integrity and relevance of results, but I'll leave those for others to formulate.

I should also add, SurveyMonkey is just one of many similar tools that will lend itself to an exercise like this.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.