[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Local Club Attendance -- an Engagement Index?

Posted By: Albert Steg
Date: Monday, 11 December 2017, at 2:53 p.m.

As one of the organizers of thew New England backgammon Club, I'm always curious to look at our turnout numbers from month to month of course, but recent;y I've also been looking a lot at the size of our player community vs. the % turnout at any given event. These numbers might be viewed as Breadth of Interest and Depth of Commitment.

For instance, for our monthly tournament yesterday we had 31 players (12 'Advanced' + 19 'Open'). Looking at our points race standings, we've had around 65 unique players show up over the course of our 4 events this season. So, a little under half of the players who might have turned out yesterday turned out. We could call this ratio something like our "Engagement index". So you start the season with a 100% and with each event you could revise your Unique Players figure and calculate what proportion of your community 'Showed up'. I didn't actually do this for October and November, so I'm sort of making up some of these numbers, but for the sake of illustration

September: 39 Unique Players, 39 attended, 100% Engagement

October: 43 Unique Players, 24 attended, 56% Engagement

November: 54 Unique Players, 33 attended, 61% Engagement

December: 65 unique players, 31 attended, 48% Engagement

The reason I'm interested in these figures is that it lets you evaluate two avenues for growing attendance: getting more players to give NEBC a try (Breadth of engagement) and motivating them to attend tournaments more frequently (Depth of engagement). The two challenges require quite different approaches, and looking at attendance patterns might help evaluate measures you've taken to increase participation.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to think in these terms, so I'd be curious to hear if there's already a term for what I'm calling an 'Engagement Index', or established theories / strategies for analyzing participation in this way. I'm also curious whether any existing clubs have looked at their attendance patterns in this way, and what their results have looked like.

Albert New England Backgammon Club (NEBC)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.