[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A history lesson

Posted By: Rod
Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2013, at 4:17 a.m.

In Response To: USBGF dues increase (Jim Stutz)

Jim,

The organization exists because I heard people moaning about how there should be an organization for several years after I got involved in backgammon in 2004. I took my own money, enlisted Rich Munitz and Lynn Ehrlich to round out the necessary 3-person board and forged ahead. It wasn't a miracle - it was my drive.

The USBGF board has decided to raise rates 50% because the organization is desperately in need of more revenue. Because... Instead of trying to drive growth for 3 years they have focused on other priorities. Those priorities were important. However, I knew back the. That we needed to rapidly hit a 2,000 membership base to have any hope of making it and then hit the 5,000 membership level to have any real security. The organization should have hit 2,000 by now.

The USCF tried to raise rates in a similar fashion to this a number of years ago. There were protests and they were forced to backpedal and slash rates 1/3. A board that has the benefit of a similar organization's mistakes to look to and then makes those same mistakes needs to seriously evaluate their lack of diligence in the decision-making process.

It's unfortunate that the USBGF needs revenue so badly at this point. A 50% rate increase isn't the answer, though.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.