[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

USBGF rate increase

Posted By: Keene
Date: Thursday, 18 July 2013, at 6:06 p.m.

In Response To: USBGF rate increase (Adam Torkelson)

I wouldnt normally get involved in this type of discussion, but I think its reasonable to point out some basic business principles here.

A product is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what its intrinsic value is in creating that product. The case here is that the USBGF needs to increase its revenue stream. It is choosing to do this (at least one way) by increasing the membership cost. This is not unreasonable. However, given the relatively finite number of potential members, and the relatively low number of current members, the projected model for success here may not be optimal.

The example that Rod gave regarding the Chess organization, was more pointing towards the membership there not believing the same value existed at the higher rate, and there was a forced backpedal.

I dont agree with many things that Rod says, but I do with some of them. This being one of them. There must be better revenue streams available to the USBGF to solve the financial challenges they face.

Personally, I find the current rates to be reasonable, and plan on renewing (if I can) to extend my membership before the rates officially go up. However, I am not convinced that the same value exists at the higher rate. Things I would like to see to improve the value: more live events sponsored by the USBGF; fresher content on the site; a wider variety of links and ideas; better pricing on their products (~$35 for a scoreboard, really??). Just more in general. I understand that this all requires capital injection, and I appreciate that its not easy to generate it, and have the greatest respect for those that are doing what they can.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.