[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

USBGF rate increase

Posted By: Matt Reklaitis
Date: Thursday, 18 July 2013, at 10:51 p.m.

In Response To: USBGF rate increase (Keene)

The concern for me isn't the rate increase, which as others have pointed out is a small amount in absolute terms, but the reasons why it's necessary.

From its website, the mission of USBGF is "advancing the awareness, participation, education and enjoyment of the skill-based game of backgammon". Growing its membership seems a reasonable goal toward that end. When I think of growing memberships, I think of acquisition and retention. And I think Rod has a point about the magazine, because it seems to me that (based on its current content) it falls in the retention camp, as I can't imagine anyone is going to start playing backgammon because of its existence. It's great material for those of us who already attend tournaments anyway, and maybe it helps convince some regulars to fork over membership dues and/or be involved (which is important), but maybe it's also a net loser if its taking away resources which could be better used toward acquisition. It sounds to me like what may be happening is that if the membership were bigger, the production of the magazine wouldn't be a resource drain, but at current levels it is.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.