[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Tournament Resignation Rule

Posted By: AP
Date: Sunday, 25 August 2013, at 12:21 a.m.

In Response To: Tournament Resignation Rule (mamabear)

So players can enter into negotiations before the match or even during the match...and this is not considered a settlement!!? Astounding.

There absolutely are moral issues at play with such deals. How would you feel if you were playing in the finals awaiting the winner of the semifinals played between Donk and Pro, cheering for the Donk so you will have an easier match. Donk and Pro both realize that their combined tournament prize equity will be much higher if Pro advances, since he will have a much better chance at beating you for the 1st place purse. So, they openly enter into an agreement to split their combined winnings. Now, the Donk and Pro start their match, where each player has incentive for the Pro to win. Alternately, the Donk may just default on the spot. Either way, I would be upset if I was in your shoes. These types of deals are considered illegal collusion everywhere (apparently with the one exception of inside tournament backgammon halls).

In my view, there should be stricter rules on hedging to prevent such abuses, and more lax rules on resignations to allow a player to save a few minutes in a hopeless game when he wants to grab dinner, catch a flight, call his wife, etc.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.