[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Thoughts on transcribing

Posted By: Keene
Date: Thursday, 10 July 2014, at 3:15 p.m.

Normally, when I am recording my matches, I use Backgammon NJ on my kindle, and I enter each play as it is played. It doesnt take too long, or add much in terms of time to your match (apart from the bearoff, where you can noticeably be impacting the flow of the match to pause to complete the moves), however when you try and play on a clock, I find the time pressure to be too much.

Last night I transcribed my first video / recorded match - the live stream of my match with Ed O Laughlin. That was quite an experience I found. I half recalled a whole lot of my plays, when I saw the positions, same with Ed's, and to my great surprise, I spotted the occasional play that I didnt make as I would normally. You know how that goes - you see a position, and think I would play x x here, then watching the video of myself make play x y, and then the immediate increase on my PR.

Otherwise, a very instructional process I thought, with the ability to see errors as I played them - which is quite different from just playing against XG. The instant gratification of that type of play is just not the same.

Other thoughts - as I was watching my PR, some of the errors I made had a very visible effect on it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with how I ultimately played (4.40), but certainly I know that its not as low as it should have been, which is disappointing, especially since I know some of the errors I made as I transcribed would not normally have been made.

Ultimately, its a very good experience, and I recommend it, its far more instructional than just playing XG and reviewing. I have two more video recorded matches from the weekend - but those are just 5pt matches, and I know of at least one triple whopper I made in one of those.

K

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.