[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

How to make money off people who claim the dice are rigged

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Saturday, 17 October 2015, at 6:05 p.m.

While I was feeding Murat the Troll on rec.games.backgammon, it occurred to me that backgammon sites could offer players "insurance" against bad rolls (or rigged rolls, if you like). So for example, if I really don't want to roll 66 next, then I can pay (say) $100 insurance, and get back—oh, I don't know, something less than $3600, perhaps $3500—if I do roll 66. More complicated insurance packages could be designed, but you get the idea.

Players who are convinced that the dice are rigged in a predictable manner can then try to use the insurance system to make a profit. Of course, this system won't stop the accusations about rigging, but the point isn't to stop the accusations; the point is to make money.

Has any site tried such a scheme? I'm trying to think how it could backfire. Perhaps some people who try the insurance scheme get fed up and quit the site whereas they wouldn't quit if they weren't given the option in the first place. Or maybe the lucky few who do profit from the insurance scheme have a more credible story now that they have facts and cash to back up their claims, thereby scaring more people off the site.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.