[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Turing test

Posted By: Matt Ryder
Date: Wednesday, 2 December 2009, at 6:06 a.m.

In Response To: Turing test (rod)

Bots can't pass the Turing test yet. Anyone capable of playing decent backgammon can certainly determine whether they are playing a bot if they look to make that determination.

Bots are still not up to the task of passing a formal Turing Test (see footage from the latest Loebner Contest - 2009 Turing Test.)

But a formal Turing Test isn't required to fool a human on a backgammon server. In my experience, online players are not particularly urbane conversationalists, and I'm certain that any semi-decent AI chatbot could emulate the usual terse exchanges. I remember a bot on FIBS that was quite a decent chat artist.

If you think bots can only give stilted 'automatic' responses, try chatting with this one:

Suzette.

Most BG players are trying to emulate bots in their play (reverse Turing style), so it's becoming increasingly difficult to tell the carbon from the silicon.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.