[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The Perfect Bot--Will we Every Have one?

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2013, at 1:32 p.m.

The bot that I want to see, and everyone would like to see, is a bot that not only tells you what is the right decision, but WHY it is right. Will we every have such a bot?

I believe we have the ability, now, to have a bot that does "explain" every first, second, and maybe even every third roll play, though no one has yet attempted to incorporate this information into the bots, I am sure it could be done. I have mentioned this to Xavier and it is not a priority for him at this time.

How would you like to be able to put in, say, a second roll play at Gammon Go and it shows you that you should hit twice and then explains that because of the price of gammons you are willing to sacrifice some wins in order to win more gammons. Or, on an opening roll, when it tells you to slot with a 2-1, it explains why this is better than splitting and why you slot with this number but not 4-1 or 5-1.

That information is there...it is explained in books and articles and by those of us who teach backgammon, and can easily be written into the program. That is the bot all beginners and intermediates (and some Open) players would love to have as a working teaching tool.

But will we ever have one that can explain a 4th, 5th, or 6th roll play? I know it sounds nearly impossible today, but much of what we see from computer programs today would have sounded impossible 20 years ago.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.