[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why use Nactation?

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Tuesday, 18 January 2011, at 11:51 a.m.

In Response To: Why use Nactation? (Stick)

Before I go on this mini-rant, I should say that for the most part, I really like nactation. It's a clever idea that clearly has its place in the game. There are some things I do not like about it.

• I really hate the fact that nactation isn't well-defined, and even worse, there are codes that only a select few seem to know. It seems like about once a week, there's a post from somebody about how to nactate something or other, and invariably, I find out that the correct symbol to use is "]" or some such nonsense. It isn't made up... it's part of nactation, but nobody's bothered to tell me until now. I hate that crap. Maybe this update to the tutorial will help matters, but for now, nactation seems like something where I can't become a black belt because the big bosses are carefully guarding the inner sanctum.
  • It's a barrier to entry. I can almost guarantee you that most beginner/intermediate types are going to see all the S, $, D, B, C, U, blah blah blah and wonder what that nonsense is, and will think that it's too hard to understand. It serves to stilt growth amongst the very group of people who need to understand more.
  • Nactation for hand recording is only useful if you're just doing it for yourself. And I'm never going to do it that way.
  • I don't like all of the brain power I need to use to try to remember the difference between E and O and N... yeah, yeah, I know it's not rocket science, but I have a hard enough time with backgammon, now I have to learn a semi-cryptic notation? Ugh.

I do very much appreciate the shortening of file names, of shortening discussions, and of encapsulating a lot of information with nacbracs, and I appreciate the fact that it's now a part of the game, and if I want to keep up with the big boys, I need to know at least the rudiments of nactation.

Keep in mind that this is just a criticism of specific things -- for the most part, I'm on board.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.