[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Recording a Match

Posted By: Stein Kulseth
Date: Thursday, 20 January 2011, at 9:49 p.m.

In Response To: Recording a Match (Bill Riles)

I have tried recording matches using Nactation. IMO it just isn't suited for recording, and I am staying with end number notation.

Its advantage over point notation in saving a few strokes per move is almost worthless, as writing down two numbers is quite fast too. Quite often I will only have to write one as the other is forced, obvious, to the same point or played using the same checker. In the rare cases where a double is played off 3 or 4 points requring 3 or 4 numbers written, the play takes longer as well so I get more time to write.

Its big disadvantage is that I have to think more, which slows me down. This is not only a case of not knowing the system well enough: With end number notation I simply write down blindly where the checkers go. With Nactation I must think about not only how a play was made, but also how it could have been made. Example, the player moves a back checker up, so I'd like to just enter 'U', but I have to think about whether there is another up move available that moves farther up, that would qualify for the 'U' so that this play should be 'V' instead. Maybe its not too important, and any inconsistencies will sort themselves out on review, but I found that this made nactation slower, and I feel that it would stay that way even if I would take the time to learn nactation better.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.