[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Fastest Windows laptop under $500?

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Friday, 31 May 2013, at 5:40 p.m.

In Response To: Fastest Windows laptop under $500? (Chuck Bower)

Chuck Bower wrote:

I think the major decision you are going to have to make is whether to get a dual core Intel (there are I5 models under $500) or quad core AMD (probably A8 to stay under $500). What you really would like to make your decision is XG and/or GNU-bg benchmarks made with these models. That is where this forum could probably provide the best help. In general AMD is slower, but getting a factor of 2 in CPU's can make up for a lot. So don't accept generalities.

In the end I went for a quad-core AMD A8-4500M that I found at bestbuy.com for $410 (including tax; shipping was free). I'm satisfied with its performance so far, although my guess is that a dual-core Intel would have been faster, since XG is telling me that I'm getting only about 900,000 pos/sec. I haven't gotten around to installing Core Temp yet, but just touching the surface suggests that the CPUs are not getting very hot, so I may dispense with the cooling pad and just prop the machine up a couple of inches off the table when I'm running a long rollout.

Thanks again for your help!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.