[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Rules Breakthrough in LA

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 3 June 2013, at 7:50 p.m.

In Response To: Rules Breakthrough in LA (Daniel Murphy)

Good points. In answer to No. 1, yes, it is possible to cause a problem quite accidentally, and that's the whole point. If you do something carelessly or accidentally but it creates an uncertainty as to how something should be ruled, clearly the other person did nothing to create the problem, you did, so even if it was an accident, the ruling should "tend" to go against you rather than the other person.

If we are not sure if it was a fast roll; if we are not sure whether you actually did reach for the cube or whether you actually did state that you would take the cube if he doubled but you said something that sounded like it or could easily have meant that; or if you moved the checkers back and forth all over the place and there is a dispute as to where they started; these are all reasons, if the two parties don't agree, that the ruling should tend to be against you. What if you thought you hit the clock and didn't? It's an accident, but is that your opponent's fault? What if you sort of moved in a way to indicate that you hit your opponent's checker, but forgot to pick it up (and it was still a legal move without picking it up). Now you claim that you did tap the checker and meant to hit it and it was an accident, you were distracted by an announcement, and forgot to pick it up. The ruling should go against you. You were the one who was not careful and caused the problem, not your opponent.

As for the second question, the intent is to put people on notice that fair rolling is important to all. Dice tubes and baffle boxes solve a lot of these problem, but clearly many people are not used to them and many just plain don't like them. But if I ask my opponent to use a baffle box and he refuses, I don't really have a problem with that SO LONG as he is then very conscientious about shaking his dice properly and rolling properly. If he doesn't, the intent is that I can request a box and the director can make it mandatory if he believes that is appropriate or the director may warn the player about his improper rolling.

Again, this is new territory, and the director has to decide how and what he wants to enforce.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.