[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The sausage factory

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 4 June 2013, at 1:07 p.m.

In Response To: The sausage factory (David Rennie)

Often discussions about rules, ethics, and other things we consider important start to sound like a discussion of how many angels can fit on the head of a pin, but those of us who really want to have rules that make the game friendly but very fair, easy to understand, and eliminate, as much as possible, disagreements that can lead to an unpleasant experience, get a lot out of these discussions.

If you read every post in this thread, you will see that some people had misconceptions about what the rules were, are now, and why they need to be what they are. You will also see that as one of the authors of the rules, I got a better understanding of how the rules should be written to avoid some misunderstandings, and I even got a comment that pointed out something important that we forgot to cover in the rules (that turning the cube should be treated the same as if you roll regarding your accepting or rejecting an opponent's illegal move).

Very new ideas, like allowing the dice to land on the checkers was immediately rejected by people who didn't fully know that the intent of the new rule is that with dimpled checkers it's still okay, even if the dice are on a slight slant, and if a die is clearly between two checkers or on edge between a checker and the board, it is still considered cocked.

Now, I know there are many who could care less about getting into lengthy, in depth discussion about the rules, and they can simply ignore the thread. When I am out for dinner with friends and they begin talking at length about the latest gossip about movie stars or what is happening on a TV show I don't watch, I put a nice smile on my face and think about how I am supposed to play a second roll 2-2 at gammon-save after my opponent has pointed with 6-4. I doubt they would be very interested in what I am thinking!

From this thread I have more insights and more opinions, and if I hope to have a positive influence to make things better, it helps to hear the opinions of others, and I know of no other place than this forum to discuss issues with highly-knowledgeable people who truly care about the game.

Personally, I don't know how any serious player is not extremely interested in what the rules are and should be. What the rules are, and how they are interpreted and applied, is a major factor in our ability to enjoy the game, and we have all been distracted far too long by rules that were unnecessarily ambiguous or that put us into ethical dilemmas about whether we should or should not enforce them on ourselves or our opponents. Many of those problems are either solved or at least diminished by Pat's new rules. Of course, many will not agree...we will NEVER have complete agreement....but discussions like this help us all understand each others point of view. (I even respect the idiots who don't agree with me!)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.