[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Rules Breakthrough in LA

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 3 June 2013, at 9:55 p.m.

In Response To: Rules Breakthrough in LA (Bob Koca)

Good question! Considering the intent of the rule, let's say I move illegally, and then you double. I can't see why that is any different than if you had rolled the dice, and since rolling the dice means the illegal play stands, I would assume that turning the cube would have the same affect. I will recommend this be added to the wording of the rule.

Now, let's go deeper into this. BOTH players are supposed to watch for illegal moves and catch them, and since we assume both players are honest and not taking shots, of course there will be times when an illegal play is made and neither party notices it until after the next player rolls or has doubled. According to the rules, it is too late for the illegal play to be corrected, so the play stands.

Now, I will tell you what I would do. If I made an illegal move and then we either my opponent or I noticed it too late, and the move greatly improved my position, depending on who I am playing (if it is someone I respect and trust and have no reason to distrust) I would feel very bad if I did not offer to make the move legal, at his option. If my opponent made an illegal play that really hurt him, and he didn't notice and I honestly didn't notice, then I would feel no responsibility to allow him to correct it, however, depending on the person and circumstances, I probably would feel bad that I didn't notice and I would let him correct it.

Now, those are just my own, personal values of what is good sportsmanship, and I certainly would not hold anyone else to those values. But I am not about to let people wonder if I intentionally didn't see a wrong move and rolled the dice, either way, so in keeping with the spirit of the game, I would do all I could to make things right. Even if it cost me the match.

In our chouette, for many years, you could still correct an illegal move after the next dice were rolled, but before the other player picked up the dice. We had no problem with this. Of course, if the move is corrected the roll doesn't count and the roll must go over. Many people are paranoid that someone might take a shot with this rule: I make an illegal play and then wait to see if you roll well and then I suddenly notice the illegal play and your 6-6 goes out the window. Because of this fear, I was "overruled" by Pat and others and the illegal play must be corrected before the roll.

But I am going to go on believing that my opponents are good, honest people, and I'm going to do what I think is fair even if the call is a little late and my dice have left the cup. Am I "breaking the rules" when I allow my opponent to correct an illegal move after the dice have rolled? Possibly, but I doubt a TD would rule against me, or my opponent, when we do something nice in the spirit of good sportsmanship. I believe the TD would agree that should override the strict enforcement of the rule. Of course, if the TD says is watching and says "no" then I listen.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.