[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Rules Breakthrough in LA

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 4 June 2013, at 1:30 a.m.

In Response To: Rules Breakthrough in LA (Michael Petch)

I would love to use my dice roller on my phone but I doubt a TD would allow it primarily because there is no evidence that the rolls are random. But I often play tournament matches on XG and no one doubts to randomness of the rolls. Some day we might all be handed dice generation devices by the director--there would be no problems about cheating or cocked dice. Another sure fire method is for the director to appoint an official to roll for both players.

But I don't think any of us want to see that. As much as I enjoy playing on the computer for the sake of having the match recorded and being able to study my errors, one of the things we all love about the game is the feeling of shaking and rolling and moving checkers around a quality board.

To me, a baffle box does not take away from that at all--the benefits of not worrying about how my opponent is shaking and rolling and not worrying about cocked dice, along with the added aesthetics of the dice going through and tumbling out of the box, add to the experience. I can understand why people o he t to the dice tube even though it solves many of the same problems--it just doesn't "feel" the same as rolling the dice with or without a baffle box. Going to an electronic device would be even worse, but I sure as hell would rather have that then sit across the table from a lot of players who are simply too stupid, discourteous or clueless to shake and roll properly.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.