[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

It depends

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Wednesday, 12 February 2014, at 9:54 a.m.

In Response To: Number of games necessary to get approx PR (David Rockwell)

It depends on what level of XG you play. If you play at any level lower than the one called "extremegammon" it may well double when it's not a double and the lower levels may well throw early games moves at you that you are not likely to see against a decent human player, and that might hurt your PR because you're not used to seeing those positions.

But in answer to Tilman's question, I believe that after about 50 matches you can be pretty sure that your PR is reasonably accurate if you are in the area of a 5 PR. The higher your average PR the more matches you would have to play to get a good reading.

I believe another way to get a stronger feel of where you are is to remove just two or three of your very best and two or three of your very worst matches (out of a total of 50) and then see where you are. If the number didn't change much by removing the best and worth 3, then I believe you can put more weight on your average, but if it did move the number more than a tenth, you probably have to play more matches.

Keep in mind that after you come up with an honest number, it will be higher than most other players who are at your same level because you will be one of the few people in the world who actually comes up with an honest number.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.