[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

It depends

Posted By: Henrik Bukkjaer
Date: Wednesday, 12 February 2014, at 2:31 p.m.

In Response To: It depends (Tenland)

Well, if your goal is to measure improvements, then depending on your current PR level and distribution, these outliers can be more or less important.

Getting rid of the outliers could be a goal for you (rather, minimize the PR in your worst matches, focusing on your biggest blunders).

But if you're just looking to see if your "base game" is moving in the right direction - perhaps getting rid of the outliers will enable you to do so with a smaller sample - I'm not sure how much the impact is on that purpose, nor if removing outliers will remove some important information about your game.

----

I think that not considering outliers is the number one reason why many players think they average lower than they actually do. And maybe why they don't understand how hard it is to get to a certain level... ("How hard is that? I play 25% of my games at that level already!")

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.