[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Most of these arguments have NOTHING to do with Legal Moves

Posted By: Art Grater
Date: Saturday, 15 March 2014, at 4:58 a.m.

In Response To: Most of these arguments have NOTHING to do with Legal Moves (Daniel Murphy)

They are no more or less special than anyone else. But that has nothing to do with anything. If they WANT to play into the wee hours sans clock and there is NO chance of them holding up the tournament, who benefits by dictating that they have a less enjoyable experience?

I know it's not either player because they've mutually agreed. I know it's not anyone else in the tournament because they are not there and this match will be long gone by the time they arrive in the morning. I know it's not the TD because they will be less likely to attend in the future, not more likely. So who is left to benefit by forcing them to use a clock against their wishes in this circumstance?

Keep in mind that the main purposes of a clock is to assure one player cannot delay the entire tournament, and to protect a player against someone who plays painfully slow. Neither remotely applies to this situation. What has happened is we've lost sight of the REASON for a rule and then follow it…. blindly. That doesn't even make sense in a prison camp, much less a BG tournament.

I'm not suggesting these players should dump the clock against the TD's explicit request. I'm suggesting the TD should allow these players the flexibility to play without a clock if it harms no one who has an actual stake in the matter. And no one should second guess the TD.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.