[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Who is this tournament targeted at?

Posted By: niuniuch
Date: Wednesday, 13 May 2015, at 6:09 a.m.

In Response To: As Promised -- Registration Fees Explained (tem_sat)

If one of your objectives is really to control participant costs, then you fail at this utterly...

I've only been to the WC last year so I don't have a comparison, but from what I've heard the number of participants is steadily declining over the years. You must have considered why is it happening and I wonder what is your diagnosis?

When I read Phil Simborgs posts about how backgammon was played a few decades ago, with millionaire gamblers playing for huge money, I can understand how MC could've had a few hundred participants back then.

Nowadays when I talk to people at tournaments, most share the same idea of a good tournament - a tournament is good if it offers a high prize pool to additional cost (reg fees + cost of stay) ratio.

The is no way you can compete with tournaments like North Cyprus or Sochi if you force players to pay 180E for a dinner (and I don't drink wine BTW).

The BWC has a huge tradition and you've done your best to keep it at the same level, and I really respect that. Times have changed, though, so maybe it is time that the World Championships also changed... Anyway, that's just my personal opinion.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.