[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

London Open 2016: New website, new format, watch the trailer, sign-up

Posted By: Sean Garber
Date: Tuesday, 12 April 2016, at 10:20 p.m.

In Response To: London Open 2016: New website, new format, watch the trailer, sign-up (stw672)

Despite my next paragraph, I am an admirer of the UKBGF. You have taken a leading roll in rules clarity. Your rating system takes even takes club matches into consideration. You are good for the game.

I don't like the format. In addition to your 4 Core Principles, a fifth is at least as important. Given that we are playing backgammon, the format should be reasonably fair. This is harder to define, but your format certainly doesn't qualify. Player A starts out with a 4-0 record, then loses in the round of 16 making him 4-1 overall. Player B starts out with a 1-3 record, then wins 5 straight 3 point matches, then loses in the round of 16. Player B is now 6-4 overall with 5 of his 6 wins in 3 point matches. For my money, Player A has a significantly more impressive record in the tournament so far, but he is in exactly the same spot as Player B. Also, this is a 3 day tournament and a major championship. Why do we have all these cheesy 3 and 5 point matches right in the middle of the tournament? These are not last chance matches, but will have a significant impact toward determining the winner of the tournament. With a three day tournament, a better format is more important than an innovative format.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.